"This command I commit to you, my son Timothy, according to the prophecies that were previously given to you, that by them you might fight a good fight" (1 Tim. 1:18).
Lessons in Victorious Spiritual Warfare
In the current global prophetic movement, there is an increase of activity like there was 30 years ago. What was offered during that time frame is being offered once again. I call it the Prophetic 2.0—in which we build on what has gone before us. In recent weeks, I have written on "5 Prophetic Words for 2019: Fresh Bread from Heaven" that have fallen into the ground in the last five years. I have also recalled "5 Prophetic Points for 2019 and Beyond" that we are inheriting from those who have gone before us.
But we cannot assume that these amazing prophetic promises of a "billion-soul harvest" from seer prophet Bob Jones and "stadium Christianity" by Paul Cain will automatically come into being. Some things are worth fighting for!
We must learn once again the former lessons of "warring over the prophetic promises of God" concerning the destiny over for our lives, our families, cities, nations and the body of Christ. Yes, we can and we must stand in the gap and fight the good fight of faith. Here are a few lessons we must apply to be victorious in our spiritual warfare.
Lesson One: Persevere! (from 2 Kings 13:14-19)
Here we are given the prophetic directions of Elisha to the king on how to overcome his enemy. "Strike the arrows to the ground." In some way these prophetic actions demonstrated the degree of victory the king would have over Syria. Tenaciousness is the principle demonstrated!
Lesson Two: Pray the Promise! (from 1 Chron. 17:23-26)
Here we find the prophetic key of praying the promise into being. You must know the promise, remind yourself of the promise and pray the promise. David found courage to pray before the Lord.
Lesson Three: Strengthen Yourself! (from 1 Sam. 30:6)
David strengthened himself in his God. We must take time out to feed ourselves. It is not enough to get great battle plans. We must have strength to carry them out. When no one else is around to encourage you, what will you do?
Lesson Four: Depend on God! (from 1 Sam. 17:38-49)
David put aside another man's (Saul's) armor. He had to use his own weapons. He couldn't go in another man's anointing; he had to find his own (vs. 38-40). David's success was not in his skill. David was victorious as he depended on the Lord to fight in his behalf. He came in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel (vs. 45). David put aside his fears, rolled up his sleeves and ran to the battle. What have you learned from past experiences, biblical accounts and from the lives of others? Are you ready to fight (vs. 48) or will you cower away? Let's be like David, depend on God, get specific instructions, and wage effective spiritual warfare!
Seven Scriptural Insights for Greater Effectiveness
Now let's add seven scriptural insights to make our warring effective and not in vain. We have had too many delays and false starts. Let's seek the Lord for the conditions that must be met so that the promise can be fulfilled.
1. You must know and speak the Word.
From Revelation 12:11:"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they loved not their lives unto the death." (Also see Hebrews 4:12; 1 John 5:4-5)
From 2 Timothy 2:15: "Study to show yourself approved by God, a workman who need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
From 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2. Your conversations should reflect the mentality of a conqueror.
From Proverbs 18:21: "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
3. You must take authority over Satan in the name of Jesus.
From Proverbs 18:10: "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe."
From Philippians 2:9-10: "Therefore God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth."
- 4. You must clothe yourself with God's spiritual armor by faith.
From Ephesians 6:13: "Therefore take up the whole armor of God that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."
5. You must tap into the power of prayer and fasting.
- From James 5:16: " Confess your faults to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man accomplishes much."
From Isaiah 58:6: "Is not this the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke?
6. You must draw forth the wisdom of God from spiritual veterans.
- From Proverbs 1:5: "A wise man will hear and will increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel."
- Honor the vets of spiritual battle and learn from their successes and failures.
7. You must learn when to rest and not directly engage the enemy.
The devil's job is to wear down the saints (see Dan. 7:25). The spirit of the Antichrist comes to do the same (see 1 John 4:3). Therefore, we must learn wisdom with our warring and learn to rest in the Lord and physically as well.
Three Visionary Revelations to Help You in Your Battle
Dressed for Battle – A Vision
I was given an "interactive vision" in which I saw a bride dressed in her beautiful wedding garment. I heard a voice speak to me, "Lift her skirts. What do you see?" Then very slowly and cautiously, it was as though I approached the bride and carefully raised her skirt just a few inches.
The question I was asked was, "What do you see?" The bride was wearing army boots! This is a symbolic picture that portrays the needed marriage between the teaching emphasis of the "bride" and the "army."
A New Women's Movement – A Dream
I was also given a dream in which I was shown a new emphasis of the Holy Spirit that an authentic women's movement would occur. It would have an anointing similar to that of Catherine Booth (co-founder of the Salvation Army), combining compassion ministry with intercession. In this dream, I saw two brigades that would come forth. They would be called the "fighting bride" and the "loving army."
The Armor of Light – A Vision
In the middle of the night, I was awakened and saw a beam of light appearing on our bedroom wall. It had the shape and appearance of a sword. I went to the curtains at the bedroom window and adjusted them, but the white light on the wall remained the same. I then questioned the Holy Spirit about this event and I was directed to Romans 13:12 where we are told to "put on the armor of light."
We are to be dressed in truth and truthfulness walked out in boldness, humility, honesty and transparency. The Holy Spirit wants to teach us how to properly wage war and how to handle His weapons.
Enforcing the Victory of Calvary
The Nature of Our Weapons: Insight from 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
- "For though we live in the flesh, we do not wage war as the world does" (2 Cor. 10:3, NIV). In other words, we live and minister in flesh and blood bodies, but we repudiate the standards and values of the world; we do not utilize its tactics or schemes to achieve our goals.
- Our weapons have divine power, not human, worldly or fleshly power. In every case, on any view, our weapons work! They are divinely effective. They get the job done because God works in and through them. This is literally "dunata to theo," which can be one of these four:
- Made powerful by God.
- Divinely or supernaturally powerful.
- Powerful in God's perspective.
- Powerful for God.
- What are our weapons? Since our adversaries are spiritual, so, too, must our weapons be spiritual. For example: truth, righteousness, faith, assurance of salvation, the Word of God, prayer, praise and so on. What are the world's weapons that Paul repudiates? Some of these are: Human ingenuity and wisdom, showmanship, flash, charm, persuasive personalities, eloquence devoid of the Spirit.
The Purpose of Our Weapons
- The solution is in experiencing the truth of Romans 12:1-2 and Ephesians 4:20-24.
- Fill your mind with God's Word (memorize Scripture).
- Make affirmations of your Christian identity.
- According to Philippians 4:8b (MEV), we are to fill our minds with "Whatever things are lovely."
- Challenge every negative and destructive thought the instant it enters your mind and evaluate it in light of the Word.
- Learn to turn the receiver off, and turn off all thoughts that are contrary to the word of God (see Phil. 4:8-9).
- A Brief Summary: Our warfare is aimed at dismantling and tearing down the sinful reasoning and rationalizations which are strongholds. By these the mind fortifies itself against the gospel. Taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, ideas, notions and plans are taken over and transformed as they come into a new allegiance.
Declaration: Choose This Day!
Father, in the great name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the strength that You supply, I choose to be an effective spiritual warrior and to enforce the victory of Calvary. I declare that no weapon formed against me shall prosper. By Your grace, I will bring every thought into obedience to the will and word of God. I receive your revelation and will wage effective warfare until I see the promise come to pass for the glory of God! Amen and Amen!
Dr. James W. Goll is the founder of God Encounters Ministries, an award-winning author and communications trainer and has ministered in over 50 nations. For information on his webinars and online classes, visit godencounters.com. James continues to live in Tennessee and is a joyful father and grandfather today.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.