So many people I know struggle with a damaged self-image. They want to believe God loves them, but their negative experiences have programmed them to reject the truth. Maybe this has been your experience. You want to believe the Bible, but on most days, you think you are a failure, stupid, weak, inferior, disqualified or unlovable.
How can you stop these wrong patterns of thinking? You must listen to what God says about you. Romans 12:2b says: "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." There are so many Scriptures that describe your true identity. Meditate on the Bible verses below so you can overcome the lies you have believed about yourself. Speak these words regularly and let them heal your self-image:
- I am loved. Jeremiah 31:3b (NIV) says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." God's love for me is so great it is difficult to fathom. It will take all of eternity to fully comprehend how great His love is. In spite of my mistakes, my weaknesses and my sins, God is kind and merciful and He loves me unconditionally.
- I am a child of God. My Father delights in me as a son or daughter. He is not angry with me. My loving Father accepts me and celebrates me. Ephesians 1:6b (NKJV) says, "He made us accepted in the beloved." I am welcome in my Father's house!
- I am forgiven. I have been washed in the blood of Christ. I am clean. He does not keep a file of my sins. He has purged everything from my record! He even chose to forget my sins! Ephesians 1:7 says, "We have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace."
- I am blameless. When God looks at me, He sees the righteousness of Jesus, not my sins! He took my filthy garments and gave me a new robe of righteousness. Ephesians 1:4b (NASB) says He chose us before the foundation of the world, "that we would be holy and blameless before Him."
- I have been adopted. The Father wanted me in His family. He paid the ultimate price so I could be His child. He drew me from far away so I could live with Him forever. I belong to Him! Romans 8:15 (CSB) says I have "received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father.'" I can call God my "Daddy"!
- I am an heir with Christ. I have a spiritual inheritance. Everything that belongs to the Father has been given to me. God does not withhold his goodness from me. Romans 8:17 (NASB) says I am an "heir of God" and a "fellow heir with Christ." Ephesians 1:3 says we have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
- I am free from sin. Sin doesn't have power over me. I can flee from temptation. Romans 6:18 says I am now a "slave of righteousness" because I've been freed from my past sins and addictions. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says if anyone is in Christ, the old things in my life have passed away and "all things have become new."
- I am victorious. I am not just a conqueror. Romans 8:37 says I am "more than a conqueror" because of Him who loved us. Because of the victory that Christ won on the cross for me, I have also overcome sin and death. 1 John 4:4 says, "Greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world." The devil has been defeated!
- I am the temple of the Holy Spirit. God's Holy Spirit lives in me, according to 1 Corinthians 6:19. I am never alone. God's presence is always with me because His Holy Spirit abides in me forever. And Jesus promised He will never leave me or forsake me. He will never take His Holy Spirit from me.
- I have received power. I've been filled with the Holy Spirit. Now I can lay hands on the sick and see them healed. I can cast out demons. I have authority over all the devil's power. Jesus said in Luke 10:19b: "I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy."
- I am a spiritual warrior. I wear the armor of God. I have the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit. The devil will not be able to defeat me. Ephesians 6:10 says I am strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might! Even when I feel weak, I am strong because the Holy Spirit empowers me.
- I have the peace of God. I will not be shaken by worry, fear or anxiety. God comforts me and calms my fears. Philippians 4:7 says the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. I am not controlled by fear. Psalm 118:6 says: "The Lord is for me; I will not fear."
- I am guided by God's Spirit. The Lord is my Shepherd, and He leads me and guides me. I can hear His still, gentle voice. Psalm 32:8 promises me: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go." God directs my steps, gives me wisdom and helps me make the right choices.
- I am full of God's joy. My joy is not based on circumstances. I can rejoice no matter what is going on in my life. When I feel discouraged, Nehemiah 8:10c promises: "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Even when I go through hard times, I know the pain will not last forever. I have the promise of Psalm 30:5b: "Weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning."
- I am an ambassador for Christ. I can reconcile others to Jesus Christ. Everywhere I go, people will be drawn to Jesus. 2 Corinthians 5:20 says God has made me an ambassador. And 2 Corinthians 3:6 says God has made me an adequate minister of the New Covenant. I am qualified, not because of my own abilities but because God has qualified me!
- I am God's masterpiece. God created me for a special purpose. He will use me to do good works that will bring glory to the Father. Ephesians 2:10 says I am God's "workmanship"—which means "masterpiece." I am on a divine assignment and I will fulfill God's mission for my life!
- I am blessed. God sees me and cares for me. He is a good Father. He provides for my daily needs. Luke 6:38 says when I give to others, God will give to me "pressed down, shaken together, and running over." I will experience His supernatural provision. And Philippians 4:19 says, "My God will supply all of [my] needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
- I am growing as a disciple. I am growing more stable every day because Jesus is my foundation. When I feel weak, confused, unstable or tormented, I will find peace and stability in Christ, who is my refuge. Colossians 2:7 says I am "firmly rooted, and now being built up in Him and established in [my] faith." Because I have strong roots in Christ, I will bear much fruit for God.
- I always have access to His grace. Jesus has given me strength for every trial I face. He promises me in 2 Corinthians 12:9b: "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." There will always be enough strength to face each day, no matter how weak I feel. God's grace will never run out!
- I will live forever with Christ. Romans 6:23b says, "The free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Because my faith is in Jesus, I will spend eternity in the presence of God. Revelation 21:27 says my name has been written in the Lamb's book of life, therefore I will dwell in the heavenly city with Christ when this life is over.
Print out this list of Scriptures and declare these truths over your life regularly. Let the Word of God transform the way you see yourself!
J. Lee Grady was editor of Charisma for 11 years before he launched into full-time ministry in 2010. Today he directs The Mordecai Project, a Christian charitable organization that is taking the healing of Jesus to women and girls who suffer abuse and cultural oppression. Author of several books including 10 Lies the Church Tells Women, he has just released his newest book, Set My Heart on Fire, from Charisma House. You can follow him on Twitter at @LeeGrady or go to his website, themordecaiproject.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.