When we take a look at the state and condition of the world, we discover that many are crying out for a voice of direction and wisdom. Many are desperate for direction and answers.
What we see happening politically and in the entertainment industry is a cry from creation for the voice of God in culture. In this article, I want to address the purpose of prophetic ministry, the present state of culture and examine how the prophetic plays a role in shifting the culture.
Prophetic Ministry and Its Purpose
It is important for those who believe they're called to prophetic ministry to understand the purpose of the ministry of the prophet.
It is the desire of God that all believers move in the prophetic (Num. 11:28, 1 Cor. 14:1-5).
Let's define "prophetic" and "prophecy."
Prophetic: The prophetic is a sign of God's presence. It is the means by which God will bring us the revelation of His will for our lives and His church. Through prophetic ministry, believers receive clarity of vision and the spiritual thrust to move in purpose.
Prophecy is speaking the mind and heart of God as revealed by Holy Spirit. It is also the supernatural ability to hear the voice of God. Prophecy causes an individual or group to have an understanding of how to accomplish the plan of God for their lives.
There are three aspects of the prophetic: (1 Cor 14:1-3):
— Edification: strengthening, to build up, make more effective.
— Exhortation: to stir up, stimulate, encourage, admonish.
— Comfort: to cheer up.
The Present State of Culture
Currently, culture and every major industry are in desperate need of the voice of God. Culture is shaped by all the major systems of the world. Those systems are:
— Arts and entertainment.
— Sciences and health.
The above systems play a major part in shaping our world systems and our culture.
Every major leader in biblical times was involved in one of these systems of the world.
— Moses: deliverance prophet.
— Joseph: adviser and prophet.
— Daniel: governmental prophet.
"The seventh angel sounded, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying: 'The kingdoms of the world have become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever" (Rev. 11:15).
The plan of God was for the earth to mirror heaven and for the man to rule or govern the world systems like God governed heaven's systems.
Whenever Adam neglected his assignment, he turned all authority over to Satan to rule the systems of the world.
God's recovery plan was Jesus. Jesus came to restore us back to our rightful place of ruling the systems of the world and presenting them back to God.
How the Prophetic Shifts Culture
Case Study No. 1: Joseph
- Joseph becomes an adviser in Potiphar's house. Potiphar was a key leader in the nation who entrusted Joseph to manage or steward his house. Therefore, Joseph develops his consulting skills
- Joseph is imprisoned, and while there, he starts to interpret dreams. This is where his ability to operate prophetically emerges.
- Joseph is summoned by Pharaoh to interpret his dream, but along with that interpretation, he releases an economic strategy to save Egypt that positions him to be a key prophetic and economic advisor to Pharaoh.
Case Study No. 2: Moses
- Moses is delivered from poverty into the palace. He was trained in the language of the Egyptians as well as the protocols of the palace.
- Moses murders a man in an effort to save his brethren. Moses becomes a fugitive and ultimately lands in the desert where he learns shepherding. This was meant to prepare him to lead the people after their deliverance.
- Moses is sent back to Egypt by God in an effort to deliver the people from the bondage of an evil governmental system that had them enslaved. This shows us that prophetic people are called to speak truth to power and confront wicked systems.
Case Study No. 3: Daniel
- Daniel represents a generation of young prophets who are thrust into an environment that is antagonistic against our God. Daniel goes against the cultural norms of the society he is forced to live in by not following the customs of Babylon
- Daniel is faced with the pressure of abandoning his relationship with God because of new laws that have been enacted to imprison him. Daniel makes a conscious decision to remain true to his core values and consequently is punished but survives, causing the onlookers to see the power of God when he is not slaughtered by the lions in the den.
In each case study above, we see that when prophets are moving prophetically in culture, they show the power of God and ultimately impact culture in a way that advances the kingdom of God on earth. The purpose of this article is to encourage you to be the mouth, eyes and ears of God in your sphere of influence so that the world comes to know our God.
Tune into this episode of Mastery Talks with Dr. Nathan Culver on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Dr. Nathan Culver is the CEO of Culver Enterprises, a group of companies that provide support and financial services to corporations. He is also the lead pastor of Imprint Life Ministries, where he focuses on developing individuals with a desire to see change in the world. Dr. Culver's 18 years of experience as an entrepreneur and 25 years of ministry experience have prepared him to help others fulfill their destinies. Purchase the book Mastering Your Money at nathanculver.org. Follow Dr. Nathan Culver at: facebook.com/
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.