'Tis the season to be tempted!
I'm passing on all the goodies. They are so unhealthy, plus I react very poorly to sugar. How about you?
If you're being tempted, and your cravings are driving you up a wall, here are some tips to help you conquer the challenges of a tempting season of sweets.
1. GTF Chromium (glucose tolerance factor) has helped many people control sugar cravings. Chromium is an essential trace mineral that helps balance blood sugar and combats insulin resistance. In fact, sugar cravings can be a sign of a mineral deficiency for some people.
A very large percentage of Americans are low on chromium due to deficiencies in the food they eat, particularly the white flour products. Chromium is needed for insulin to work effectively to transport glucose into your cells for energy. A deficiency in chromium might cause you to have intense sugar cravings. Before supplementing with chromium, however, it's good to consult with your doctor because it should not be taken if you have kidney problems, are allergic to leather or if you are taking certain medications.
2. L-Glutamine is very important for digestive health and is especially helpful for the colon. This amino acid heals tissues in the body, especially irritated tissue in the digestive tract. It is known as the calming amino acid and is very effective at reducing anxiety as well as sugar and alcohol cravings. The recommended daily intake is 20 to 25 micrograms for women and 30 to 35 micrograms for men.
3. B vitamins play a key in insulin metabolism. Your body needs the various B vitamins for insulin to function correctly at different levels of metabolism. You may be deficient if you have eaten white flour products and very little meat, as is the case with many vegetarians.
4. Zinc is necessary to produce and release insulin. This mineral extends the action of insulin so it does not break down. Many people are zinc-deficient and instead have toxic levels of copper, iron, lead, mercury or cadmium in their systems—all can replace zinc in the insulin molecule, causing it to malfunction and become very fragile. This fragility can be a major contributor to insulin resistance.
5. Magnesium is a very important mineral because it affects hundreds of cell interactions throughout the body, such as in the brain, bones and muscles. It's important for good sleep, normal blood pressure, balanced mood, relief of muscle cramps, relief of restless leg syndrome, relief of charlie horses, prevention of constipation and reduction of powerful chocolate cravings. Eighty percent of the population is estimated to be deficient in magnesium for a variety of reasons. American soil is depleted and no longer rich in magnesium, and many of us don't eat enough foods—especially dark leafy greens, nuts, and beef—that are good sources of magnesium.
6. Vitamin C can help you detoxify and balance your system. Start with 1,000 mg. of pure ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder or capsules. Work up to what your body needs right now by increasing by 500 mg. a day until you reach bowel tolerance. This is the point of a loose stool. Then you cut back by 500 mg at a time until you reach a normal stool. That is the indicator of the amount of vitamin C you need at this time.
7. Fight sugar cravings with fat. Fat produces satiety—that feeling of fullness, the feeling that you've had enough to eat. It helps to balance your blood sugar and is necessary for transporting fat-soluble vitamins. Choose only good fats—extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and omega-3 fats from fish and fish oil, seeds, nuts, and nut and seed butters. You need plenty of omega-3 fats for good brain health too.
This is an excerpt from Sugar Knockout.
From Sugar Knockout
You can give your system a "booster shot" with ginger—a great source of zinc.
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1 kale leaf
- 1 apple
- 1/2 lemon, peeled if not organic
- 3 carrots, scrubbed well, tops removed, ends trimmed
- 2-inch chunk fresh ginger root
Cut produce to fit your juicer's feed tube. Wrap parsley in kale leaf and push slowly through juicer. Follow with remaining ingredients and stir. Pour into a glass and drink as soon as possible. Serves 1.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.