In this second of a three-part series on the ketogenic diet (find Part 1 here), I want to start by sharing links to articles where Dr. Mercola explains the benefits of the ketogenic diet.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Ketogenic Diet
- Basic Introduction to Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy – Fat for Fuel: Mark's comment - Note, Mercola discusses the need to cycle out of ketosis one or two days a week so your body is still comfortable burning carbs for fuel. Mercola discusses cycling in-depth here.
- How the Sugar Industry Managed to Dupe the World for Decades: Fats were blamed for poor health, yet the studies show sugars are the cause of poor health, and healthy fats are essential for good health. These two big mistakes got rolled into one mammoth misdirection, which is, "Don't eat fats, and do eat carbs and sugar."
- Every cell membrane is made from fats. Healthy fats nourish healthy cell membranes, and unhealthy fats create unhealthy cell membranes. Healthy fats are the building blocks in your body.
Studies on the Health Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
- 50 studies on the health benefits of the ketogenic diet. Click here for the first of these studies. Then on the bottom of the page, go on to pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 for a total of 50 studies.
- Explore these links on longevity and the ketogenic diet and these links also.
- PubMed has 2300+ studies listed on the effects of the ketogenic diet
- Go to the PubMed website, which is where you find many medical research studies posted concerning the health benefits of fasting. Type "fasting" in their search bar.
John Hopkins University and Keto (They Have Used Keto for 100 Years)
- The Ketogenic Diet Center at John Hopkins
- John Hopkins Medicine search for low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet.
- John Hopkins Medicine - High-Fat Ketogenic Diet Misunderstood, Underused
- John Hopkins Medicine - Ketogenic Diet Shown Safe and Effective Option for Some with Rare and Severest Form of Epilepsy
Be safe; Be Under a Doctor's Supervision
John Hopkins University carefully monitors those on the keto diet. Here is one comment by a retired medical doctor. "For about a year I was the doctor. who examined persons to be on a ketogenic diet. I found out that we need the potassium check because it can get too low. The company was sued when such a person died because of it."
Patti and Mark take this calcium, magnesium, potassium supplement daily for general health and wellbeing.
- You need a reason: The reasons we choose healthy living are as follows: we believe our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit; we want to enjoy our grandchildren; we want to celebrate our golden years in vibrant health and not in bed; we see the misery of others who enter their golden years in pain. What is your reason, and do you hold it with enough passion to put in the work to maintain health? I pray so! Look around and say to yourself, "I do not want to be in the health condition of so many that I see."
- Our initial period on the ketogenic diet was nine weeks. Now we are experimenting with cycling out of ketosis on some periodic schedule.
- Restricting food intake to two meals a day, within a six- to seven-hour window (12:00 and 6:00 works for us). This is called intermittent fasting and has many proven health benefits. Lower calories also seems wise to us. We are averaging about 1400 calories a day, which is about one-third less than we used to eat. Since the ketogenic diet removes food cravings, not eating till noon is no problem.
- We sure love keto (bulletproof) coffee first thing in the morning. Just so you know, studies show drinking coffee extends your life. This holds us till noon.
- We have a cup of green tea daily which has many proven health benefits.
- To lose weight, you need stay in ketosis: Keep healthy fats high (70 percent), healthy carbs to 5 percent (20 - 30 grams net carb) and protein consumption low (25 percent). Keep in mind when calculating this that 1 gram of fat = 8.9 calories, while 1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories.
- We have chosen to avoid soy for the reasons mentioned in this linked article.
Products and Steps of Action
- We add 1 or 2 tablespoons of MCT Oil (Medium Chain Triglycerides) into one or two drinks each day to help insure we stay in ketosis (lunch smoothie and morning keto coffee). For our keto coffee, we add to regular coffee one tablespoon of MCT oil, one tablespoon of butter and 2 squirts of Stevia and whip it up nicely in a blender. It is truly delicious and we muscle test strong for it, meaning it is healthy for our bodies! Be cautious of taking too much MCT as it can cause loose stools. Your body gets used to it, so maybe one tablespoon for a week, then try going to two. MCT oil has many health benefits listed here and here. Here is an excellent article detailing the science showing the fascinating health benefits of MCT oil. Drinking this first thing in the morning ensures we stay in ketosis for the day and totally wipes out our craving for food. Can I say awesome?
- We check to ensure we are staying in ketosis by using ketone test strips.
- When in ketosis, you may not have the same muscle strength. I found I could not do as many push-ups as I was doing. Same will be true with weight training.
- You need to keep your electrolytes high. The ketogenic diet tends to lower electrolytes in your body so you need to take some steps. Blogs which discuss appropriate steps are here, here, here, and here. We take a calcium, magnesium, potassium supplement. It has been advised that if on the ketogenic diet, you supplement with pure methylation or get a very high-quality B-complex supplement.
Mark Virkler, Ph.D., has authored more than 50 books in the areas of hearing God's voice and spiritual growth. He is the founder of Communion With God Ministries and Christian Leadership University (cluonline.com), where the voice of God is at the center of every learning experience. Mark has taught on developing intimacy with God and spiritual healing for 30-plus years on six continents. The message has been translated into over 40 languages, and he has helped to establish more than 250 church-centered Bible schools around the world.
This article originally appeared at cwgministries.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.