We live in a fallen and hostile world. There’s no doubt about it. And evil has a very real and palpable face.
There are people overseas who want to harm us and our children. If we stand idly by, they will do just that. How do we explain to kids why we must go to war in a way they will understand? Of course their age plays a major factor, but here are some generalities you can share:
- There are evil people who want to do bad things to us as well as to their own country.
- We cannot allow this to happen so we must go to war to stop them.
- Declaring war is a complex issue. Wars are not always right. We need to pray for our leaders in their decision-making and for our soldiers and their protection.
- We need to realize that the country we go to war with has innocent civilians that must be treated with dignity and respect.
- God is sovereign and has promised that good will not be overcome by evil.
Even something as horrific as war can be used to teach your kids. In fact, you may want to encourage your children to study some of the military “hotspots” around the world so they will know the background of why there are problems there.
It has been said that truth is the first casualty in war. And it’s true that sometimes propaganda replaces reality. So teach your kids to know the difference.
Bryan Davis is the director of content for Family First and author of the book The Play of the Day.
All Pro Dad is Family First’s innovative and unique program for every father. Their aim is to interlock the hearts of the fathers with their children and as a byproduct the hearts of the children with their dads. At AllProDad.com, dads in any stage of fatherhood can find helpful resources to aid in their parenting. Resources include: daily emails, blogs, Top 10 Lists, articles, printable tools, videos and eBooks. From AllProDad.com fathers can join the highly engaged All Pro Dad social media communities on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.