The reasons for overeating tend to fall into the same areas for both women and men. However, to help men better understand specifically why they overeat, this article is going to look at those reasons from a “male-centric” point of view.
Men who overeat tend to do it in ways that are tied to other activities and behaviors, which means that most men do not realize they are overeating. To discover if you’re eating enough for a man twice your size, you need to examine these five eating patterns to determine when, and why, you overeat.
1. Boredom. Eating is a visceral, caveman kind of “sensory activity,” and it charges up the senses. Maybe it’s time to find another way to charge up your senses—like a new hobby or interest.
2. Culture. Many cultures are all tangled up in social events in such a way that the event isn't fully entertaining unless food is involved. Whether it’s popcorn at the movies or beer and hot dogs at the game, most events for men do not involve healthy food. At times like this, when you feel the need to fit in, the best advice is moderation and self-control.
3. Stress and anxiety. Stress comes from many sources, and we all need a way to deal with it. Unfortunately, because eating gives you a feeling of control and power, many men deal with stress by eating. Then, combined with the sensory experience of taste and the comfort of a full stomach, they become less aware of the problems they wanted to avoid. It’s emotional eating, and it may sound like a problem more often experienced by women; however, many men also deal with stress by overeating. Realizing that stress is your overeating trigger will lead you to find new—and healthier—ways to deal with stress and anxiety.
4. Quitting an addiction. In giving up an oral addiction (such as smoking or drinking), many people feel the need to keep their hands busy, and eating seems like a harmless solution. While overeating may feel like the lesser of two evils, there are better ways. Learn from men who improved themselves by quitting the addiction years ago. Try doing what they did.
5. To please women. For many men, this starts in childhood—trying to show your mom that you like her meals by eating all that she provides on the table—and reemerges as a way to show your wife that you like her meals by eating all she provides on the table. At times like this, men tend to forget that words and communication are just as important. Instead of gorging yourself, try telling her how great her food is.
In conclusion, overeating is most often a symptom of an underlying problem, not the cause. Once you realize why you overeat, you can deal with the issue behind your eating habits, and soon you will be on your way to a healthier lifestyle.
Don Colbert, M.D., is board certified in family practice and in anti-aging medicine. He also has received extensive training in nutritional and preventive medicine, and he has helped millions of people discover the joy of living in divine health.
For the original article, visit drcolbert.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.