My wife is the planner in the family. I am spontaneous.
Before I met her, I took a trip to Las Vegas and had an extra day alone. I took the opportunity to cross something off of my bucket list: Drive through the desert in a convertible. Without any planning or even directions, I drove to Los Angeles. Other than that, I had no plan. When I arrived in Los Angeles I found myself in the gang territory of East L.A. After I got directions, I took a quick drive around and headed back to Las Vegas.
Before my wife takes a trip, she plans out every detail. She researches the best places to eat and visit.
This has led to some tension in our marriage, particularly when vacationing. When we took a trip together to Los Angeles, I couldn't believe all I had missed. There is some beauty in being spontaneous. But trust me, guys, when it comes to special days like Mother's Day, it is better to have a plan.
Here are 9 easy ideas for a Mother's Day plan:
1. Decoration surprise. There is nothing like coming down the stairs on Christmas morning and seeing all of the presents under the tree. After she falls asleep the night before Mother's Day, get up and deck the place out.
2. Handmade and/or handwritten cards. Whether you're just learning to write or a published author, nothing is more touching for Mom than to receive a handwritten note. Expressing your love and appreciation for Mom on paper takes time and expresses thoughtful devotion. It doesn't have to be long or fancy, just something from the heart. Here are printable card options.
3. Let her sleep in. Being a mom is exhausting. Give her the gift of sleeping in. If you have young kids, then get up with them and handle all of the morning duties. Maybe even take them out for the morning so the house is quiet.
4. Kid video interviews. Have your kids sit down and answer questions about their mom. It can be as simple as recording it on your phone and showing her. It can also be more elaborate by editing it on your computer. This will be a documented gem that she can watch for years to come. Here's a great example.
5. Flowers. A classic Mother's Day gift. A variation of this could be getting her a plant. They last, but careful, they take maintenance. Be sure she enjoys taking care of plants or you will have given her just another thing to do.
6. Breakfast in bed. Another classic Mother's Day treat. Take it up a level by making something from her favorite cookbooks. Incorporate the kids if they are able to help.
7. Make dinner or take her out. This is similar to breakfast in bed—nothing says love like food. Make her favorite meal or take her to her favorite restaurant. Enter the contest on Monday for a chance win and it could be on us.
8. A lazy stroll. Take some time and ask Mom to go on a walk with you. Walks provide the perfect opportunity to spend time together and talk about life. This gesture will warm her heart and show her how much you enjoy time together and her involvement in your life. The subtle conversations about friends, school or dreams show her you're willing to go the extra mile to make her feel special.
9. Little favors. Doing little favors, either for her or around the house, make Mom feel special. Anything from bringing her a cup of tea to unloading the dishwasher without being asked could be the perfect ideas for spoiling Mom. These small blessings let her relax and enjoy some down time. When Mom sees her children want that for her, she'll feel especially loved.
What is the best gift you have ever given for Mother's Day?
BJ Foster is the Content Manager for All Pro Dad and a married father of two. For the original article, visit allprodad.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.