As much as we're tempted by our flesh to do so, we should not let these things come out of our mouths when speaking to our children. If you've done these, go back and apologize immediately:
1. "Why can't you be more like ... ?"
2. "Watch out! Go in the other room, you're just in the way."
3. "Will you please get to the point?"
4. "Stop crying. You're OK. Don't be such a wimp."
5. "Why can't you just get this?"
6. "You can't do this."
7. "Stop, you're embarrassing me."
8. "You're setting a horrible example."
9. "Don't bother me right now."
10. "I don't have time for you."
11. "Leave me alone."
12. "Stop or I'll give you something to cry about."
13. "Ugh. You're just like ..."
14. "I'm done with you."
15. "I give up."
16. "Well, I hate you too."
Our tone of voice and the way we phrase what we say can make all the difference. Instead of saying "You're setting a horrible example," the National Center for Fathering encourages you to find a way to rephrase it. Maybe "Think of the example you are setting for your younger siblings."
If you've downloaded this free e-book, The Power of Your Words, then you know just how powerful your words can be. Make sure you are using your words wisely and avoid these 16 phrases that are on our "never say" list. Download our Tools for the Journey: Things You Should Never Say to Your Kids.
For the original article, visit fathers.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.