- "I believe in you."
- "It’s a blessing to be your mom/dad (grandma, aunt)."
- "I love you." Then be specific: "I love your smile (energy, caring heart, etc.)."
- "I noticed ... (you got your homework done, you have a new friend). That’s what I call responsibility (kindness, other character quality)."
- "Keep up the good work. You’re making progress!"
- "If more kids were like you, this world would be a better place."
- "There is a bright future ahead for you."
- "Thanks for what you did (helping, doing chores, doing homework, etc.)."
- "If all the 8-year-old girls (use child’s age) were lined up from all over the world and I could only pick one, I’d pick you."
- "I admire or am proud of you for (name a specific quality or trait)."
10 Negative Phrases Not to Say Because They Tear Kids Down:
- "You’re no good; you’ll never amount to anything."
- "If you don’t stop doing that, I’m going to leave you here (or go home without you)."
- "Why can’t you be more like your brother/sister?"
- "I can’t stand you."
- "You are so much trouble."
- "I can’t wait until you’re grown up and out of here."
- "Don’t you ever listen? Where are your brains?"
- "What’s wrong with you?"
- "You are stupid."
- "You’re giving me a headache (or stressing me out)."
Cheri Fuller is an inspirational speaker and award-winning author of The One Year Book of Praying Through the Bible (Tyndale) and 41 other books. For her resources, visit cherifuller.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.