When evil attacks, our soul wants to shrink in pain, our heart shatters and our mind fills with gloom. Unless we run to God's promises for refuge.
We need His protection because often as unexpected as rain on a sunny day, adversity pours. And when it does, we're stunned at the reason why. Why us? Why now?
I Need a Break
I asked those questions years ago. When my boys were small, I had wiped the kitchen counter and mopped the floor for the umpteenth time. I folded laundry, fixed meals, calmed cries, changed diapers and picked up toys off the floor as I did every day. The routine, the monotony and the endless chores sometimes pushed me on the couch, wanting to scream, "I need a break."
That break came when in a matter of 18 months, a retinal disease robbed my sight completely. And facing the horror, the sorrow and the desperation, I sat on that same couch, wishing, wishing so badly that those "monotonous" days could come back.
Have you done that? Complained and ranted about how life is hard, routine and so difficult? Then suddenly, a wave of bad news crashes your life. And pain enters your world. Then those days filled with routine, mundane tasks are ones you wish to come back. In fact, you'd do anything to go back to what you had before. Anything to be relieved from the current pain.
And to make it worse, we're attacked by regret, sorrow and anguish.
But God knows. He has the protection from those attacks. He has the shield from the arrows that pierce our peace. And He has the promises, the specific instructions, the powerful path for us to follow, all outlined in Chapter 54 of the book of Isaiah.
- When life's unfairness flogs our heart, we're tempted to give up. "'... but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you,' says the Lord your Redeemer" (Isa. 54:8b).
- When you wonder if He's the same as He was long ago. He says, "For this is as the waters of Noah to Me; for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no longer cover the earth, so I have sworn that I would not be wrathful with you nor rebuke you" (Isa. 54:9).
- When you question the power of His love, He assures "'For the mountains may be removed, and the hills may shake, but My kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall My covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord who has mercy on you" (Isa. 54:10).
- When you wonder what your future will look like. What will the new chapter hold? He states, O afflicted one, tossed with tempest and not comforted,
I will lay your stones with fair colors and lay your foundations with sapphires" (Isa. 54:11).
- And when you wonder what will your legacy hold? He gives the answer: "All your sons shall be taught of the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your sons" (Isa. 54:13).
- When you question what will be next, what you can expect, He addresses that too: "In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear, and from terror, for it shall not come near you" (Isa. 54:14).
- When you ask for constant security. He says, "Indeed they shall surely assail you fiercely, but not from Me. Whoever assails you shall fall for your sake" (Isa. 54:15).
Though blindness has been part of my life for over 30 years, these promises shined a constant light of beautiful hope. And they will for you too. If storms crash your life and bring rain of heartache, know that these same promises prevail over the winds of fear. His Word hushes the thunder of sorrow. And as you wait patiently, His voice speaks to turn your adversity to joy.
Which promise speaks to you in the storm? I'd love to hear your answer.
Thank You for your great comfort that surrounds us continually, even when heartache and turbulence enter our lives. May we be ever mindful of your promises to turn our adversity to joy. We trust in Your great faithfulness as we wait on You to fulfill those promises. In Jesus' name, amen.
Janet Perez Eckles is an international speaker and the author of four books. She has helped thousands conquer fear and bring back joy.
This article originally appeared at janetperezeckles.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.