Lately, I feel like God has been warning me about distractions. In fact, while I was trying to write this blog, I got distracted all over the place!
In today's world, we face entertainment distractions, social media distractions, crisis distractions, everyday life distractions and many more. It seems as though my attention span is getting shorter and shorter, and the space for creative thinking and productivity is being choked out.
Am I the only one who gets distracted more often than I'd like? What can we do?
Every one of us has our share of distractions, no matter our status, daily work, age or where we live. There's just so much going on! But the enemy of our souls would love for us to do nothing all day but give in to the distractions of life.
The thing is, nothing gets done if we don't stay focused. So let's remind ourselves daily of our purpose. We are only on this earth a short time, and we're here for a reason.
Paul said it this way in Philippians 3: "The real believers are the ones the Spirit of God leads ... filling the air with Christ's praise as we do it. We couldn't carry this off by our own efforts, and we know it ... all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand ... I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us (vv. 2-16 MSG, emphasis mine).
Keep focused on the goal! If we ask ourselves every day, "Why am I here?" I believe it helps us stay grounded and focus. I guarantee that we are not here to be jerked around by every distraction that comes our way in a day!
Here are five practical ways to focus in and get the victory over distractions:
- Be aware. You can't get the victory unless you realize what's distracting you. If you get too many social media notifications in a day, disable that function. Retain your attention span. Recognize the distractions, the plots of the enemy, and refuse to let them have air time.
- Make a list, check it twice. If you're trying to focus on something and something else occurs to you or wants your attention, write it down, then continue with what you're working on. Or if it seems like everything is wrong and nothing is right, make a list of all those things and find Scriptures that have your answer. Then every time trouble comes to mind say, "Thank you, Father, for working all of that together for good—You are causing me to triumph!" (Rom. 8:28, 2 Cor. 2:14).
- Ask for help. This means delegate, yes, when you can. But first it means: ask God! "Father, I need your help to focus here. Thank you for helping me keep the distractions at bay!" Use your authority and bind the devil! (Matt. 16:19).
- Engage the Spirit. There's no better way to get a grip on natural things than with spiritual things. Pray in tongues! It releases the powerhouse inside you! (Read More: Pray in the Spirit).
- Find the flow. Matthew 11:29 tells us to "Learn the unforced rhythms of grace." I've learned that if I'm trying to focus in on something (for example, writing a blog) and I just cannot get into it, I wait. I stop fighting it and say, "OK, Lord, I'll come back to this later when Your grace is flowing." Works. Every. Time.
I challenge you to make a concerted effort to push distractions to the perimeter and do everything possible this week to focus on Jesus and on your purpose. Bring back productivity and laser focus into your life. It takes effort, but it's so worth it to fulfill God's purpose for you!
Karen Jensen Salisbury has been in ministry over 30 years. Formerly a lead pastor, then an instructor at Rhema Bible College, she is currently an itinerant minister and author of several books. Connect with her on her website, karenjensen.org, on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
This article originally appeared at karenjensen.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.