Ever wonder why having a prayer language is important? Here are good reasons to use one.
1. You know your spirit is speaking directly to God. The Bible tells us, "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God … for if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays" (1 Cor. 14:2,14, NKJV). Praying in tongues can also be like a two-way street. When you pray in tongues, God will often give you wisdom and insight to see better ways of doing what you need to do.
2. You know you are praying according to the will of God. The Holy Spirit "makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God" (Rom. 8:27). You may often be tempted to pray for what you want, but when you speak in tongues, you are instead praying God's will. This is important, for the tongue has great power, as Solomon pointed out: "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" (Prov. 18:21).
3. You bring your tongue into subjection to God. The apostle James is clear: "No man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison" (3:8). But when you speak in tongues, you are submitting your tongue to God. Perhaps that is why the tongue is the first thing the Spirit controls when He baptizes us.
4. You are edified. "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself. … I thank my God that I speak in tongues more than you all" (1 Cor. 14:4,18). In a world filled with disappointments and unmet expectations, we often need to be edified. Even Paul felt a need to speak frequently in tongues.
5. Your faith is stimulated. Jude explained it best: "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit" (Jude 20). When you find yourself struggling with doubt or unbelief, draw apart and speak in tongues, and your faith will be stimulated.
6. You know you are "giving thanks well" to God. First Corinthians 14:15-17 assures you that when you speak in tongues, even if no one around you understands what you are saying, you "give thanks well" to God.
7. You are spiritually refreshed. Ever become weary or discouraged? Then speak in tongues. "For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to His people, to whom He said, 'This is the rest with which you may cause the weary to rest,' and 'This is the refreshing'" (Is. 28:11-12).
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.