Proverbs 10:20-21 When you go to the doctor, usually the first thing he says is, "Stick out your tongue." Your physical condition often will be shown by the condition of your tongue. The same is true about your spiritual condition. What you speak with your tongue reveals what is hidden in your heart. Some of the spiritual diseases that are revealed by what we speak are bitterness, jealousy, pride, anger and so forth.
This proverb says the tongue of the just is as choice silver. Silver is a metal that must be fired at a high temperature to remove all the impurities. The dross will come to the surface as the silver is fired. The dross or impurities of our lives will often surface when we go through fiery trials. When the pressure is on in our lives, our true nature is usually expressed by what we say. Could it be that this is one of the reasons the Lord allows fiery trials in our lives? He desires for our tongues to be pure and holy.
The daily challenge is to guard our tongues, but no man can tame the tongue. Only the Holy Spirit can do this. In order to heal some of the other diseases of the tongue, we must spend time with the Lord, our Great Physician, for He alone can heal them. We must then take the medicine prescribed for these tongue conditions:
- Critical, judgmental words—Titus 3:1-2
- Flattery—Proverbs 26:28; 29:5
- Lies—Proverbs 6:16-19; 12:22; Revelation 21:8
- Idle words—Matthew 12:36; 5:37
- Murmuring and complaining—Philippians 2:14-15; 1 Corinthians 10:10
- Negative words—Ephesians 4:29
- Cursing and suggestive words (caused by seducing spirits)—1 Timothy 4:1
- Angry, argumentative words—James 3:16; Proverbs 13:10
- Gossip—Proverbs 20:19; 18:8; 11:13; 26:20; Leviticus 19:16
- Hasty words—Ecclesiastes 5:3, Proverbs 10:32; 17:28; 29:20; Psalm 106:32-33
- Excessive words—Ecclesiastes 5:3; Proverbs 10:19; James 3:8
When we take the prescribed medicine from a doctor, we expect results. I believe if you will meditate on the scriptures above, you will soon be healed of whatever tongue disease you may have. Let the prayer of David in Psalm 17:3 be yours today:
I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
READ: Leviticus 24:1-25:46; Mark 10:13-31; Psalm 44:8-26; Proverbs 10:20-21
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.