Our homes should be a place where God's glory dwells. We should cultivate an atmosphere conducive for the Holy Spirit to move, not just within our churches, but within our homes. I often hear people come into my home and make comments like, "The presence of the Lord is in this place" or "It is so peaceful here I don't want to leave." Those comments are nice to hear, but I just don't want to hear them about my home, I want to hear them about your home and their home. You, too, can have what I have.
I have cultivated an atmosphere in my home by playing worship music 24/7 throughout my house. But what about the times your house doesn't feel peaceful? How do you tell if evil is lurking in your home? We can come into our home one day and feel the presence of God, and then another day, we could discern something amiss in the atmosphere. What is it? How did it enter? What do we do about it?
Discerning the atmosphere of your home is easy. The first thing is that you are noticing there is an absence of peace of His presence. I encourage people to do a spiritual inventory.
How to discern your home:
- Walk through all rooms of your home. Are there rooms that feel more peace than others? Do you look at an object in the room and not have peace about it? Make a note of your discoveries or where God's peace and presence seem to be lacking or even that you can feel an evil spirit infiltrated the room.
- Discern the rooms that seem spiritually disruptive to you. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Was there a recent conflict in the room?
- Did someone return from an international trip or purchase an object oversees?
- Is a computer present where pornography could have been watched?
- Is the person occupying that room under spiritual attack?
- Is a TV or radio in that room so something could have been watched or played that released a demonic presence?
- Did you recently have visitors in your home or deliverance ministry released?
- Has a person in the home opened the door to witchcraft practices?
- Is there emotional bondage in a family member?
These can all be some of the reasons a demonic presence can be present in your home. The good part is these are the easiest demons to get out. Pray through the rooms of your home, anoint the rooms with oil and speak out loud and command by saying, "All demons leave this room and this home in Jesus' name." If you know the name of the demon, such as heaviness or conflict, then command it to go by name, saying, "Demon of heaviness or demon of conflict, get out in Jesus' name." Then speak and declare good things like the presence of God and fruits of the Spirit to come into the room. I suggest playing music in that part of the home.
We do not have to be afraid of demons; we have authority over them. However, we do want to be aware of when evil is lurking so we can expel evil from our presence. By living a life devoted to God in prayer, worship and Bible study and keeping our homes a place of holiness, we can prevent evil spirits from entering in and wreaking havoc. Anoint your home, pray over it, be discerning of what you allow in and out of your home and cultivate an atmosphere conducive of praise and a place where the Holy Spirit and presence of the Lord can dwell.
Kathy DeGraw is a prophetic spiritual warfare strategist releasing the love and power of God to ignite and activate people, release prophetic destinies and deliver people from the bondage of the enemy. She is the founder of Kathy DeGraw Ministries and Be Love Outreach. She is the author of several books, including Speak Out, Discerning and Destroying the Works of Satan, Identity Invasion, Who is Speaking? and Warfare Declarations. You can connect with Kathy on Facebook, facebook.com/kathydegraw or visit degrawministries.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.